AEROSPACE PERFORMANCE. INDUSTRIAL PRICES.
POSSIBILITIES OF NAVIGATION. MADE EASY.
Honeywell has developed a new line of Micro-Electro-Mechanical System (MEMS) Inertial Measurement Units (IMUs): these products are specifically for industrial applications and do not require export licenses.
Honeywell is the world leader in high performance IMUs and offers multiple IMUs in numerous different variants. Most are controlled by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), however Honeywell has recently developed two new Non-ITAR IMUs. Both the HG1120 and HG4930 are controlled by the Commerce Control List and part of category 7A994. In addition, both IMUs utilize proprietary Honeywell technology and designs and leverage Honeywell’s vast experience with IMUs and inertial sensors.
IMUs are devices that sense rotation and acceleration. This is achieved via gyroscopes and accelerometers. Some IMUs also include magnetometers to sense the surrounding magnetic field. IMUs can be used anywhere there is value in accurately measuring motion. Example applications include:
- Aiding a camera pod to track a desired object
- For example a television viewing enhancement systems used in sports broadcasting
- Integration with GPS/GNSS to navigate an object from point A to point B
- IMU performance is key; errors grow quickly without GPS/GNSS (e.g., forested areas, underwater, dense urban)
- Dynamic antenna platform stabilization
- IMU measures small perturbations of a platform under motion (e.g., vibration, shock) and feeds those measurements into a control system that then corrects and stabilizes the platform; without an IMU, communication can be degraded or lost
- Enables robots to navigate indoors with other aiding sources (e.g., radar, LIDAR); similar concept to GPS/GNSS aiding