Honeywell Aviaso provides hosting services for several airlines. Our services range from monitoring and supporting just a few selected applications up to complete hosting for an airline.
The objective of the Aviaso/Hosting is high availability at reasonable costs and is achieved as follows:
1. Reduction of risk factors:
2. Procedures in case of problems:
- Reduce risks regarding potential problems along the technology stack
- Make use of redundancy as much as practically possible
- Use comprehensive system-monitoring to detect potential problems as early as possible
3. Disaster recovery & business continuity:
- Ensure availability of helpdesk / single point of contact (365/24h)
- Have effective counter measures prepared for potential problems
- Establish system-setup leading to minimal risks for a disaster
- Ensure business continuity, should a disaster occur
|Benefits for airlines
- High availability of applications and systems
- Cost efficient solutions
- Flexible and scalable solutions according to the airline’s requirements
- Guaranteed service level agreements (SLA)
- Short implementation time from project idea to “going-live”
- Sophisticated “monitoring and alerting” with early detection of potential problems
- Central helpdesk available 365/24h
- System book describing architecture, exact configuration, normal- and non-normal procedures
- Sophisticated data center with high level of redundancy and protection
Honeywell Aviaso provides its hosting services along the technology stack shown in the figure below. At Honeywell Aviaso, an airline is not locked into a “do-all-or-nothing” approach. The customer decides – according to its requirements – what services shall be performed by Honeywell Aviaso. This can range from outsourcing just a few services up to outsourcing the whole technology stack to Honeywell Aviaso.
- Honeywell Aviaso software
- Other airline software
- Oracle or other databases
- Tools to synchronize databases between primary- and failover-servers
- Linux or other operating systems
- Tools to synchronize file system between primary- and failover-servers
- HP or Dell high performance servers
- Extensive use of built-in hardware redundancy; e.g. several power-supplies, fans, redundant network interfaces, etc.
- At least two independent internet connections
- VPN site-to-site connection between primary- and failover-servers
- High level of redundancy regarding internet connectivity, electricity, and climate control
- ISO 27001 certified
Examples of hosting services for our airline customers
Example 1: Honeywell Aviaso supports and monitors all Linux-based applications of an airline including database- and operating system-support. The actual data center, network, and server-hardware are managed by the airline’s internal IT.
Example 2: Honeywell Aviaso is responsible for the whole technology stack starting at the data center up to the applications. The complete technology stack is duplicated at two different data centers (at a distance of more than 500 km). All data is continuously synchronized between the two data centers. In the case of a disaster, the failover data center takes over from the primary data center within a matter of minutes.
The status of all relevant systems and components is measured in time-intervals of 5 minutes or less. Honeywell Aviaso monitors more than 50 parameters, like temperature in the data center, several network parameters, numerous hardware parameters, and status of operating system, database and applications. The main purpose of this comprehensive and detailed monitoring is to detect potential problems as early as possible – before they become a real problem for the airline’s operations.
The Honeywell Aviaso helpdesk is immediately alerted in case of anomalies, i.e. should any of the parameters be outside the acceptable range.
Honeywell Aviaso takes care of all the monitoring for the customer – yet if interested, our customers can also monitor all parameters over a secure internet connection and can also be alerted directly in the case of anomalies (e.g. via SMS or e-mail).
Honeywell Aviaso provides a helpdesk, which is available 365/24h. It can be reached via telephone, email or a web-based ticketing system. The helpdesk is the central and single point of contact for all problem-reports and hosting-requests.
Furthermore, the helpdesk also contacts the airline customer, should Honeywell Aviaso detect any kind of non-standard situations, which require coordination with the customer.
All relevant information of the hosting solution is described in a comprehensive system book. The system book contains the sections: system architecture, hardware and software configuration, network layout, data-storage and backup, normal procedures, non-normal procedures, disaster recovery procedures, and list of contacts.
Honeywell Aviaso has data centers in Zurich/Switzerland and Sofia/Bulgaria, which are fully compliant with the ISO 27001 standard. The data centers fulfill the following requirements:
- Connection to multiple redundant internet lines
- Support for BGP
- Redundancy of all important components like router, firewall, loadbalancer, etc.
- Fire-retardant walls
- Early warning laser smoke detectors
- Automatic gas-based fire suppression systems
- Redundant cabling (UPS and Generator)
- UPS with battery as backup
- UPS with diesel-generator as backup
- Protected 24 hours by security guards and video surveillance cameras
- Access limited to authorized personnel
- All access is recorded
- Average temperature of 22° C ( +/- 2° C)
- Average humidity level: 50% ( +/- 10%)
- Multiple redundant air conditioning units