The Honeywell digital remote-mounted radio system encompasses all primary radio navigation and communication functions very high frequency (VHF) omni-directional receiver (VOR), automatic direction finder (ADF), distance measuring equipment (DME), instrument landing system (ILS), VHF communication radio into a single, easy to install system. By incorporating the individual line replaceable units (LRU) within a modular cabinet, each radio function is easily reached and each radio system is readily upgradable for communication, navigation and surveillance and air traffic modernization (CNS/ATM) solutions that will be required. The system also includes a digital audio system providing audio, interphone, and passenger address systems, improving the audio performance of the aircraft as well as the pilot’s overall comfort and workload.
In addition to providing state-of-the-art radio communication and navigation performance and the established reliability of the Honeywell Primus® Epic radio system, the modular radio system offers significant advantages to the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) and the operator, including:
• Option for VHF data radio (VDR) in mini cabinet (standalone radio)
• Fewer units for size, weight and power reductions
• Selective calling system (SELCAL) function in audio panel, eliminating standalone unit
• Reduced wire count
• Inter-module communication contained within the cabinet
• Easily upgradeable for CNS/ATM requirements