Honeywell certified the first Primus Epic® platform in 2003. It introduced revolutionary cockpit design such as Large Format Liquid Crystal Displays, INAV™ and Graphical Flight Planning. It set new benchmarks for reliability and high density of functional integration on a small, lightweight hardware platform.
Since then, we have flown more than 15 million hours and, before long, we will be on more than 10,000 aircraft worldwide.
The Primus Epic® we sell today looks nothing like the Primus Epic® we certified in 2003, and only the name has stayed the same as we evolved to keep up with ever-changing mandates, meet new customer needs and incorporate new technologies.
Back then, we announced another cockpit, named Primus Apex®. Intended to be Part 23 variant of Primus Epic®, it quickly evolved into its own success on the Pilatus PC-12.
Today, we are evolving the Primus Apex® and Primus Epic® brands to Primus Epic® 2.0. For now, only the most advanced platforms will transition to Primus Epic® 2.0. The new name allows us to deliver more value with significant technologies in later numeric designations and differentiate technologies like synthetic vision, 3D weather radar and FANS capabilities from more standard versions of Epic®.
The name change to Primus Epic® 2.0 is a reminder of many past successes that Honeywell is proud of. More importantly it announces to our customers that they can expect steady advancement of this product.
Standard features of Primus Epic® 2.0 include:
Primus Epic® 2.0 may also include these options:
- Graphical flight planning: The most advanced pilot interface greatly simplifies flying as aircraft navigation and airspace operations become more demanding and complex.
- Honeywell SmartView® Synthetic Vision System (SVS): Increases situational awareness by giving pilots a graphical display of what’s around the aircraft, even in degraded visual environments such as fog or low clouds, at all times.
- Honeywell SmartRunway® : Enhances runway safety by providing timely positional advisories and aural alerts during taxi, take-off, final approach, landing and roll-out — significantly reducing the risks of runway incursions.
- Protected Mode-Controller Pilot Data Link Communication: Relieves congested voice channels and makes communication between pilots and air traffic controllers almost as easy as sending a text message on your smart phone.
Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast In with Honeywell SmartTraffic® TPA-100 TCAS: Enhances predictability, safety, pilot situational awareness and airspace system capacity certified to the most stringent requirements.
- IntuVue® Weather Radar: Enhances safety with automated 3-D scanning, allowing pilots to make safer, and more informed route decisions sooner and avoid hazardous weather.
- Next Generation Flight Management System: Completely redesigned to meet 4-D navigation requirements required by future air traffic management system designers.
- Graphical Datalink: Enhance air traffic control communications with intuitive cursor point and click commands versus the traditional text-based tabbing and typing approach.
- Wireless connectivity: Increases efficiency of data transfer to and from the avionics system cockpit through the incorporation of Wi-Fi and cellular telecommunication interfaces and mobile tablets instead of specialized test equipment.