Honeywell certified the first Primus® Epic platform in 2003. Introducing revolutionary cockpit design such as Large Format Liquid Crystal Displays, INAV™ and Graphical Flight Planning, it set new benchmarks for reliability and high density of functional integration on a small, lightweight hardware platform.
Since then, the Primus® Epic platform has flown more than 15 million hours and before long will be on more than 10,000 aircraft worldwide.
Only the name has stayed the same. Today’s Primus® Epic looks nothing like the one we certified in 2003. It has been evolved to keep up with ever-changing mandates, meet new customer needs and incorporate new technologies.
Back then, Honeywell also announced Primus® Apex. Intended to be Part 23 variant of Primus® Epic, it quickly evolved into its own success on the Pilatus PC-12 NG and the Viking Twin Otter.
Today, we are evolving the Primus® Apex and Primus® Epic brands to Primus® Epic 2.0. For now, only the most advanced platforms will transition to Primus® Epic 2.0. The new name allows us to deliver more value with significant technologies in later numeric designations and differentiate technologies like synthetic vision, 3D weather radar and FANS capabilities from more standard versions of Primus® Epic.
The name change to Primus® Epic 2.0 is a reminder of many past successes that Honeywell is proud of. More importantly it announces to our customers that they can expect steady advancement of this product.
Features of Primus® Epic 2.0 include:
Primus® Epic 2.0 may also include these options:
- iNAV Map and Graphical flight planning: The most advanced pilot interface greatly simplifies flying as aircraft navigation and airspace operations become more demanding and complex.
- Honeywell SmartView® Synthetic Vision System (SVS): Increases situational awareness by giving pilots a graphical display of what’s around the aircraft, even in degraded visual environments such as fog or low clouds, at all times.
- Autopilot and Autothrottle: High performance, full-featured Automatic Flight Control System for safe and comfortable flights through all kinds of weather and maneuvers.
- Data Link Communication: Evolving with Industry advancements for FANS, LINK2000, SESAR and FAA NextGen, EPIC Datalink relieves congested voice channels and makes communication between pilots and air traffic controllers almost as easy as sending a text message on your smart phone.
- Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast In with Honeywell SmartTraffic® TPA-100 TCAS: Enhances predictability, safety, pilot situational awareness and airspace system capacity certified to the most stringent requirements.
- Onboard Maintenance: Through automated data management tools, our Onboard Maintenance Systems provide improved dispatch, reliability, and ease of database loading.
- IntuVue® Weather Radar: Enhances safety with automated 3-D scanning, allowing pilots to make safer, and more informed route decisions sooner and avoid hazardous weather.
- Next Generation Flight Management System: Completely redesigned to meet 4-D navigation requirements required by future air traffic management system designers.
- Connected Cockpit and Wireless connectivity: Increases efficiency of data transfer to and from the avionics system cockpit through the incorporation of Wi-Fi and cellular telecommunication interfaces and mobile tablets instead of specialized test equipment.
- Honeywell SmartRunway®: Enhances runway safety by providing timely positional advisories and aural alerts during taxi, take-off, final approach, landing and roll-out — significantly reducing the risks of runway incursions.