- Honeywell’s Boeing 757 test airplane showing legions of APAC fans, customers and the media how connectivity and in-flight Wi-Fi is changing the way we fly
Grab your leather jacket and pack a bag, because the summer’s most unlikely rock tour is taking place 35,000 feet overhead. Honeywell (NYSE: HON) has launched its Power of Connected world tour in Asia Pacific to showcase its latest technology, applications and services for aircraft. The set list includes an inside look at how Honeywell is enabling the Connected Aircraft to improve flights for pilots, passengers and flight operators alike. It’s a lot more than rock and roll, and we sure like it.
The tour kicked off at San Francisco International Airport on Wednesday, May 31, and is in the Asia Pacific region, for the very first time, this July. The flight itinerary for Asia includes Tianjin, Ningbo, Seoul, Tokyo, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. While only a few hundred VIPs will have the chance to travel on the Honeywell B757, scores of fans can be a part of the tour anytime at www.HoneywellRocks.com.
With the Asia Pacific region set to be the driver of passenger growth over the next two decades, the aerospace industry has an opportunity to tap into connectivity and software services to increase efficiency as the industry shifts into the age of digitalization and the Internet of Things. Boeing recently predicted that the global demand for aerospace services would be worth $2.6 trillion over the next decade, with Asia set to experience the fastest growth.
Spearheading this trend, Honeywell’s Connected Aircraft is more than just creating a comfortable flight for passengers with less turbulence, fewer delays and reliable in-flight Wi-Fi. It is using connectivity and data to inform pilots about how to get to their destinations efficiently and safely while also allowing maintenance personnel to predict and fix problems before they happen.
The Power of Connected Tour Experience
In anticipation of the tour, Honeywell has debuted a new livery on its B757 to showcase the capabilities of the Connected Aircraft. Passengers will get VIP passes to experience how Honeywell is combining hardware and software to create the Connected Aircraft.
Here are some of the technologies taking center stage:
- Honeywell’s GoDirect Flight Preview application gives pilots a highly accurate, three-dimensional preview of the runway and surrounding terrain before they take off.
- GoDirect Weather is an information service that gives pilots real-time weather data on the flight path, allowing them to plan the safest, most efficient routes possible. Thunderstorms are super rock and roll, but safety first. A new connected radar function will provide crowdsourced weather information from other airplanes in the sky and share that information through an application, giving an accurate view of the weather around the world.
- Honeywell’s GoDirect Cabin offers a comprehensive suite of satellite communication services and solutions to deliver unparalleled connectivity and functionality. This includes access to more than a dozen GoDirect apps and services, as well as real-time TV, TV on demand, high-speed broadband internet, video conferencing, email and Voice over IP.
- Honeywell’s JetWave® system enables passengers to connect to Inmarsat’s GX Aviation service, offering seamless global broadband access that provides the same internet speed and reliability they get at home or in the office — it’s better than a backstage pass.
- GoDirect Fuel Efficiency software collects, monitors and analyzes data to help operators optimize fuel efficiency across a fleet. As a result, pilots have access to the most fuel-efficient flight paths to reduce the amount of fuel they use.
- Honeywell’s GoDirect Connected Maintenance will help airlines be smarter, more efficient and predictive in the way they maintain their fleets. Airlines now no longer need to reactively fix mechanical systems such as auxiliary power units or wheels and brakes. With Honeywell’s GoDirect Connected Maintenance, airlines proactively troubleshoot mechanical issues to avoid aircraft downtime. They get the data they need to be more efficient to keep flights on time and passengers happy.
Over the past couple of years, leading airlines in the Asia Pacific region such as Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines, SriLankan Airlines and Vietnam Airlines have recognized the value of connectivity and selected Honeywell’s JetWave® system to connect to Inmarsat’s GX Aviation service. Most recently, Cathay Pacific and Hainan Airlines adopted Honeywell’s GoDirect Connected Maintenance program to reduce costly and disruptive maintenance and aircraft downtime, lowering flight cancellations and reducing the impact of delays.
The Power of Connected world tour has traveled to cities across the United States and Europe and will culminate in Asia Pacific. The Honeywell B757 will give VIP flights in the following cities in Asia Pacific:
- Tianjin Binhai International Airport, Tianjin, China, July 6 & 7
- Ningbo Lishe International Airport, Ningbo, China, July 8
- Incheon International Airport, Seoul, July 10
- Narita International Airport, Tokyo, July 11 & 12
- Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taipei, Taiwan, July 13
- Hong Kong International Airport, Hong Kong, July 15
- Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, July 17
- Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore, July 18 & 19
- Soekarno-Hatta International Airport, Jakarta, Indonesia, July 20
- Melbourne Airport, Melbourne, Australia, July 24
- Canberra Airport, Canberra, Australia, July 25
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace on the Follow The Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 software-industrial company that delivers industry specific solutions that include aerospace and automotive products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes, and industry; and performance materials globally. Our technologies help everything from aircraft, cars, homes and buildings, manufacturing plants, supply chains, and workers become more connected to make our world smarter, safer, and more sustainable. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywell.com/newsroom.