PHOENIX, Feb. 25, 2016 – The introduction of Embraer’s next-generation E-Jet in São José dos Campos, Brazil today showcases one of the most advanced and innovative airline cockpits in the world based on Honeywell Aerospace’s (NYSE: HON) market-leading Primus® Epic flight deck. Honeywell’s integrated cockpit includes a suite of hardware and software solutions spanning navigation, communications and displays to power Embraer’s newest narrow-body medium-range aircraft.
A key feature within Honeywell’s Primus Epic cockpit, called SmartView® synthetic vision system, provides for the first time a 3-D representation of terrain, obstacles and runway to enhance what pilots and flight crews call situational awareness that improve flight safety, fuel efficiency and comfort for passengers. SmartView will allow pilots to have a “clear view” of the outside world even while flying at night or in poor weather conditions through all phases of flight from take-off to landing.
“Honeywell’s SmartView synthetic vision system was one of the first to be certified by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and the game-changing technology has not been available to airlines until now.” says John Bolton, president of Air Transport and Regional, Honeywell Aerospace. “Honeywell and Embraer are launching synthetic vision to airlines to help pilots have a clear view of their flying environment from gate-to-gate and enable airlines to operate even more safe and fuel-efficient direct approaches to airports.”
About the E-Jet E2 Cockpit
The Primus Epic-based integrated cockpit on the E-Jet E2 family is an enhancement of an established, certified system currently in service with E-Jets. Technologies include the latest:
- SmartView® significantly improves the flight crew’s situational awareness by providing a large, 3-D color synthetic image of the outside world to enhance safety and efficiency.
- IntuVue® 3-D Weather Radar is the first and only automatic, commercial radar to accurately depict weather in the flight path of an aircraft and provide turbulence detection up to 60 nautical miles ahead — 50 percent farther than any other system. The latest version offers predictive hail and lightning capability.
- Next Generation Flight Management System with graphical flight planning automates flight planning from point A to point B. This system provides the best in-class flight planning, route guidance and approach mode capabilities for pilots to minimize head-down time and data entry errors.
- Honeywell’s Central Maintenance Computer (CMC) includes the most advanced aircraft CMC system in its class today. Current airline utilize its capability now to not only diagnose problems but also to proactively predict system failures, which reduces aircraft downtime.
- Enhanced Ground Proximity Warning System (EGPWS), which was pioneered by Honeywell, prevents controlled flight-into-terrain incidents by monitoring terrain and obstacles in proximity of the aircraft.
- SmartRunway® and SmartLanding® is an EGPWS software upgrade that improves a pilot’s situational awareness and reduces the risk associated with runway incursions and excursions. It provides precise aircraft positioning during taxiing, takeoff, final approach, landing and rollout, along with audio advisories and visual messaging to flight crews when an aircraft is approaching a runway too high or too fast or is improperly configured to land.
With 15 million flight hours to date on E-Jets, Honeywell’s Primus Epic cockpit provides a robust system for the E2 at entry into service. The software-based system will also enable Embraer to easily and effectively integrate future communication, navigation and air traffic management systems onto the aircraft.
- Read more about Embraer E-Jet E2
- Read more about Honeywell Primus® Epic
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace on the Follow the Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
- Subscribe to Honeywell’s Corporate RSS feed
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com or follow us at @Honeywell_Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.
Honeywell and the Honeywell logo are the exclusive properties of Honeywell, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other Honeywell product names, technology names, trademarks, service marks, and logos may be registered or pending registration in the U.S. or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Copyright 2016 Honeywell.
# # #