Honeywell Aerospace (NYSE: HON) has won a contract with Korea Aerospace Industries Ltd.,one of the largest defense manufacturers in South Korea, to supply avionics for the Royal Thai Air Force T-50 Golden Eagle aircraft.
Under the terms of the agreement, Honeywell will supply its Embedded Global Positioning System/Inertial Navigation System(EGI), radar altimeter, lighting and Electric Flight Instrument system for the aircraft. These advanced avionics will improve aircraft performance and reliability, maximize mission success, and increase aircrew safety.
“This contract with Korea Aerospace Industries Ltd. (KAI) cements our commitment to the South Korean defense market as the country strengthens its position as a defense manufacturer,” said Mark Burgess, vice president, APAC, Defense and Space, Honeywell Aerospace.
“Honeywell is working very closely with KAI as it seeks to grow market share for the T-50 globally and build on its successes in Indonesia, Iraq and the Philippines. We will also continue to support KAI on its T-X program for the United States Air Force.”
The agreement is expected to boost the export of locally manufactured defense products and drive the South Korean economy by growing defense capabilities and forging new agreements among key defense players globally and locally. In September this year, the Royal Thai Air Force signed a contract with KAI to procure four T-50s to replace its aging trainer aircraft.
The KAI T-50 Golden Eagle is a family of South Korean supersonic advanced trainers and multirole light fighters, developed by KAI. It includes the FA-50 variant, a light combat version of the T-50 Golden Eagle.
Key Honeywell technologies and products on the T-50 aircraft include:
- EGI navigation system, which combines a Global Positioning System and an Inertial Navigation System. Designed to provide maximum flexibility, Honeywell’s EGI navigation system helps militaries meet the most challenging navigation, pointing, stabilization and flight control application requirements today. Honeywell also offers its EGI system in standard position system variants, enabling international customers to support KAI’s T-50 export programs.
- Radar altimeter, a critical piece of safety and awareness equipment, provides pilots and flight control computers with an indication of height above the nearest terrain point below the aircraft. It ensures the pilot and crew have the most accurate information about the landscape around their aircraft to maneuver and conduct missions safely and precisely. To date, Honeywell has delivered more than 150,000 radar altimeters to defense and commercial aerospace customers globally.
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace on the Follow The Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
- Subscribe to Honeywell’s Corporate RSS feed
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com or follow us at @Honeywell_Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.
Honeywell and the Honeywell logo are the exclusive properties of Honeywell, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other Honeywell product names, technology names, trademarks, service marks, and logos may be registered or pending registration in the U.S. or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Copyright 2015 Honeywell.