India’s fastest-growing domestic airline becomes first in the country to select Honeywell’s runway and landing system
Honeywell (NYSE: HON) signed a contract with Indian airline IndiGo to supply its on-order Airbus A320neo fleet with a suite of avionics technologies. IndiGo’s new fleet of aircraft will feature several Honeywell safety-focused cockpit systems that will enable pilots to better monitor the surrounding airspace and provide greater situational awareness.
In a first for India’s airline industry, IndiGo’s A320neo fleet will feature Honeywell’s SmartRunway®/SmartLanding® system. SmartRunway/SmartLanding increases awareness during taxi, takeoff and landing phases by helping pilots ensure that the aircraft has a stabilized approach and is configured to land.
“By providing IndiGo’s new fleet with the latest technology, we are ensuring that India’s fastest-growing domestic airline is increasing safety and efficiency,” said Arijit Ghosh, president, Honeywell Aerospace India.
“With this agreement, IndiGo joins an ever-growing list of carriers around the world that are committed to equipping their aircraft with the latest technology to provide passengers with the best travel experience possible.”
In addition to cockpit technologies, Honeywell will provide products and handle maintenance requirements for the Honeywell 131-9A Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) for IndiGo’s new A320neo fleet.
Honeywell Avionics Technologies Onboard IndiGo Aircraft
Honeywell’s suite of avionics technologies selected by IndiGo for its fleet of A320neo aircraft includes the following:
- Enhanced ground proximity warning system (EGPWS), which was pioneered by Honeywell, prevents controlled flight-into-terrain incidents by monitoring terrain and obstacles in proximity of the aircraft.
- SmartRunway/SmartLanding is an EGPWS software upgrade that improves a pilot’s situational awareness and reduces the risk associated with runway incursions and excursions. It provides precise aircraft positioning during taxiing, takeoff, final approach, landing and rollout, along with audio advisories and visual messaging to flight crews when an aircraft is approaching a runway too high or too fast or is improperly configured to land.
- SmartTraffic Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) provides the industry’s longest-range surveillance capability and Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) functionality.
- Flight Data and Cockpit Voice Recorders store mandatory voice and data information from an aircraft’s most recent flight activity. The fleet will be fitted with Honeywell’s fifth-generation solid-state flight data recorder and cockpit voice recorder.
- Flight management systems, which automate flight planning from point A to point B.
- Auxiliary power units, which provide aircraft with power while on the ground. The 131-9A APU is currently flying on more than 7,500 aircraft worldwide.
- Read more about the Honeywell technologies on IndiGo’s A320neo aircraft
- Read more about IndiGo
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace and on our Follow the Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
- Subscribe to Honeywell’s Corporate RSS feed
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com or follow us at @Honeywell_Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.
Honeywell and the Honeywell logo are the exclusive properties of Honeywell, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other Honeywell product names, technology names, trademarks, service marks, and logos may be registered or pending registration in the U.S. or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Copyright 2015 Honeywell.