New Weather on Board for FlySmart with Airbus will help airlines save up to $30,000 per aircraft, per year
Adopted from a new service recently launched by Honeywell Aerospace (NYSE: HON), Weather on Board for FlySmart with Airbus will be available to airlines later this year. Delivered via an iOS or Windows app, the service provides real-time weather information during flights from takeoff to landing, saving time for pilots, reducing fuel costs for airlines, and increasing safety and comfort for passengers.
The app replaces volumes of paper weather forecast reports issued hours before flight and periodic radio dispatch updates. This app brings a new, modern and more effective way to help flight crews stay informed throughout all phases of flight, while being more aware of ever-changing climate conditions and hazardous weather that can cause delays and turbulence. Airlines can save up to $30,000 per airplane, per year by leveraging instant weather information provided by the app.
All Airbus customers that have invested in the company’s FlySmart with Airbus electronic flight bag, an electronic information management device for flight crews, for their A320, A330, A380 and A350 aircraft can receive the service. The Weather on Board for FlySmart with Airbus is tailored from Honeywell’s Weather Information Service mobile app, introduced in April.
“At Honeywell, we want to give pilots the best real-time information possible when it comes to flight planning and flying, and our Weather Information Service does just that,” said John Bolton, president, Air Transport and Regional, Honeywell Aerospace. “Airlines that already have the FlySmart with Airbus electronic flight bag will be able to take advantage of the new service in a very easy way, helping them plan more efficient and safer flights along their entire flight route.”
About Weather on Board for FlySmart with Airbus
Honeywell and Airbus collaborated to develop a high-integrity service with secure and real-time data for pilots. Weather on Board will help pilots gain more awareness of their environment throughout a flight. Current features include:
- Weather radar display shows potentially hazardous weather in a graphical format, localized spatially on a map, making it easy for pilots to understand and make critical in-flight routing decisions.
- Cumulonimbus cloud forecast display allows pilots to get a vertical view of potential storm clouds. This lets them compare weather conditions at different altitudes, making routing safer and more efficient.
- Clear air turbulence forecast display clearly shows potential areas of greater turbulence, making flights safer and more comfortable for passengers and helping to reduce aircraft damage and maintenance.
- Satellite-derived cloud heights allow a more accurate look at the changing weather, so pilots can avoid potential hazards.
- 3-D winds aloft forecast shows direction and speed of wind in an aircraft’s flight path, so pilots can choose the best possible route, helping them arrive at a destination on time and reducing fuel use and emissions.
- Read more about Weather Information Service
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace and on the Follow The Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
- Subscribe to Honeywell’s Corporate RSS feed
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com or follow us at @Honeywell_Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com. Honeywell and the Honeywell logo are the exclusive properties of Honeywell, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other Honeywell product names, technology names, trademarks, service marks, and logos may be registered or pending registration in the U.S. or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Copyright 2015 Honeywell.