Honeywell Aerospace (NYSE: HON) signed a distributorship agreement with China Civil Aviation Technology & Equipment Corp. Ltd., as its first representative for SmartPath® sales in China. China Civil Aviation Technology & Equipment Corp. Ltd. is a premier supplier of airport equipment and technology in China.
By working with China Civil Aviation Technology & Equipment (AVITEC), Honeywell will establish its SmartPath ground-based augmentation system (GBAS) in China as the newest innovation in precision landing system for civil airports. The system will enable airports, air navigation service providers and air traffic controllers to create more manageable air space, enabling more efficient arrivals and departures. With the assistance of SmartPath and performance based navigation technologies, airlines can fly more routes in the terminal area with more precision, translating to significant cost and environmental savings due to reduced aircraft fuel burn and carbon emissions.
“Our precision navigation system will help China better manage its growing number of aircraft by making airport departures and arrivals more manageable, efficient and secure,” said Briand Greer, president, Asia Pacific, Honeywell Aerospace.
“Earlier this year, we showcased China’s first precision GPS based landing and flight demonstration with a SmartPath installation at Pudong International Airport and plan to deliver SmartPath to more airports in China in the coming years.”
Honeywell is currently working with the Civil Aviation Authority of China (CAAC) to develop the necessary framework, standards and processes for certification, so airports can adopt SmartPath throughout the country. It is expected to be the first system of its kind certified for civil use in China.
“With our local experience and Honeywell’s navigation technology, we can help the Chinese aviation market manage its increasingly busy air space,” said Ren Yu, president, China Civil Aviation Technology & Equipment.
“With us advising Honeywell on the potential SmartPath opportunities in China, Honeywell can focus on delivering the best solution while we navigate the market.”
In addition, AVITEC plans to provide installation support and maintenance services to installed SmartPath systems in China, reducing costs and boosting productivity with each airport.
SmartPath Precision Landing System Benefits
- Reduces tarmac congestion and increases airport turnover by eliminating the need for taxiing aircraft to hold short of ILS clear zones to wait for other aircraft to take off or land.
- Supports up to 26 precision aircraft approaches. SmartPath provides precision approach capabilities to all runways at an airport, eliminating the need for multiple instrument landing systems (ILS), which usually require one for each end of each runway.
- Removes the need for frequent calibration and flight inspections, reducing overall operating costs.
- Lowers maintenance costs, yielding a potential annual maintenance savings of up to $400,000 compared with ILS.
- Provides a fail-safe precision landing system by preventing a single failure from taking down the system.
- Read more about AVITEC
- Read about the benefits of Honeywell’s SmartPath system
- Read more about Honeywell Aerospace on the Follow The Aero blog
- Like Honeywell Aerospace on Facebook
- Follow @Honeywell_Aero on Twitter
- Subscribe to Honeywell’s Corporate RSS feed
Honeywell Aerospace products and services are found on virtually every commercial, defense and space aircraft, and its turbochargers are used by nearly every automaker and truck manufacturer around the world. The Aerospace business unit develops innovative solutions for more fuel-efficient automobiles and airplanes, more direct and on-time flights, safer flying and runway traffic, along with aircraft engines, cockpit and cabin electronics, wireless connectivity services, logistics, and more. The business delivers safer, faster, and more efficient and comfortable transportation-related experiences worldwide. For more information, visit www.honeywell.com or follow us at @Honeywell_Aero and @Honeywell_Turbo.
Honeywell (www.honeywell.com) is a Fortune 100 diversified technology and manufacturing leader, serving customers worldwide with aerospace products and services; control technologies for buildings, homes and industry; turbochargers; and performance materials. For more news and information on Honeywell, please visit www.honeywellnow.com.
Honeywell and the Honeywell logo are the exclusive properties of Honeywell, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other Honeywell product names, technology names, trademarks, service marks, and logos may be registered or pending registration in the U.S. or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Copyright 2015 Honeywell.