Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation’s new G500 and G600 aircraft will come equipped with innovative Honeywell technologies including the new Gulfstream Symmetry™ Flight Deck, which will be the first to feature Honeywell’s new touch-screen technology.
The two new aircraft models optimize speed, wide-cabin comfort and efficiency to offer customers best-in-class performance and advanced safety features.
“The new G500 and G600 represent the most advanced business aircraft designed today and continue the strong innovation partnership between Honeywell and Gulfstream,” said Brian Sill, President, Business and General Aviation at Honeywell Aerospace. “From consumer-like touch functionality in the cockpit to mechanical systems that reduce weight and increase flight efficiency, we are providing customers, pilots and passengers the best flight experience possible.”
"Gulfstream and Honeywell share a long and esteemed history of working together to introduce industry-leading flight deck technologies," said Dan Nale, Senior Vice President, Programs, Engineering and Test, Gulfstream. "The Symmetry flight deck, featuring Honeywell Primus Epic avionics, continues this tradition by offering the most integrated and streamlined flight deck in business aviation. With 10 touch screens, the Symmetry flight deck dramatically reduces the number of switches, thereby enhancing pilot and passenger safety.”
Aimed at making displays more intuitive, integrated and significantly more user-friendly for pilots, Honeywell’s new touch capabilities will naturally ease workload and improve communications in the cockpit. The 10 integrated touch screens will be used for system controls, flight management, communication, checklists and monitoring weather and flight information.
"Pilots use touch screens in their daily consumer devices and because of this are much more accustomed to interfacing with machines through interactive screens", said Bob Witwer, Vice President of Advanced Technology at Honeywell Aerospace.
“Our engineers are responding to this change in device interaction by bringing consumer device interaction to the cockpit by matching the modality to the mission. The Honeywell User Experience, a Honeywell human centered design approach, gives pilots the information they need, when they need it – in the most intuitive way.”
Honeywell advanced avionics and mechanical products on the G500 and G600 include:
- Honeywell’s SmartView Synthetic Vision. SmartView significantly improves the flight crew’s situational awareness by providing a large, 3-D color synthetic image of the outside world to enhance safety and efficiency.
- Touch-screen controllers. Utilizing an eight-inch diagonal LCD, the touch screen controllers are fully integrated with cockpit and aircraft systems, providing advanced functionality from flight planning and audio control to checklist and aircraft systems control with capability to expand.
- 2-D and 3-D airport moving maps. The 2-D moving map shows runways, taxiways, airport structures and signs at many airports on navigation displays, while the 3-D moving map integrates the Synthetic Vision System for an “out the window” view of the airport on the Primary Flight Display (PFD).
- Cockpit display of traffic information. This presents the position of nearby ADS-B aircraft on the flight deck multifunction display, giving the flight crew better awareness and understanding of airborne and surface traffic.
- Flight deck connectivity. Wireless data loading enables pilots and maintenance personnel to wirelessly transfer data files, such as terrain and navigation database updates, through a mobile app.
- HGT400(G) APU. An integrated system that supplies pneumatic and electric power for the aircraft while on the ground or in flight. Honeywell’s newest large cabin business aviation APU is derived from a successful lineage of the proven RE220 APU. The system is approximately 30 lbs lighter than the average APU in its class with industry-leading technological advancements to maximize performance and reliability. The HGT400(G) is also equipped with Honeywell’s latest electronic controller technology, allowing for smooth communication with the integrated flight deck.
- Environmental Control System and Cabin Pressure Control System. An integrated system that provides a more comfortable, quieter experience for passengers by minimizing change in the cabin environment and reducing workload for the crew.